WHY ARE ACTIVITIES FOR SPOUSES IMPORTANT?
Hobbies and activities for spouses and significant others are important because they help you to reconnect with each other. Doing things together gives you a “neutral ground”, where you can bond, gain trust, and even build upon your friendship. In addition, you will pick up a hobby for yourself, and if you have children, set a good example of a healthy relationship. Life can get messy, and thats ok! What’s not ok, however, is neglecting your relationship. Because of this, I created my list of activities and hobbies for spouses. Don’t worry, some of these you can totally include your children in as well! I hope that you can find something that works well for you and your significant other!
WHAT IF WE DON’T LIKE TO DO ANY OF THE SAME THINGS?
Welcome to my world 🙂 . My husband and I could not have further interests from each other if we tried! He grew up hunting, fishing, and playing baseball. I, on the other hand, love reading, writing, and was a cheerleader. Thankfully, we have gradually found new hobbies and activities that we can share together as well. Don’t get me wrong, this wasn’t an overnight discovery by us. Because of this we had to look into tons of activities to find things that we were both at least mildly interested in, or at least didn’t hate the thought of. The first thing to remember is that not every activity will be at the top of your list. Some things won’t work out, and one or both of you will not want to do it again. Other activities will stick though, I promise!
THE ACTIVITY LIST
- Volunteer Together – Find a soup kitchen, animal shelter, or whatever you both agree on. Giving back together will make you both feel good and will help your community.
- Read a Book – Choose a book that you can both get into, combine genres if you need to, and then make your own mini book club, or you can even join another book club.
- Go Hiking – It doesn’t have to be a true hike, even just going for a long walk in a nature preserve will be enough to feel outdoorsy.
- Take a Dancing Class – Take a beginners course of salsa, swing, or whatever appeals to you! Dance studios and often even community centers offer classes.
- Try Wine/Beer/Spirits Tasting – You can often find local breweries, wineries, or distilleries that offer some form of tasting. Hit up a few places on a Friday night for an awesome date night!
- Go Fishing – This is one that I have adopted for my husband, he loves fishing! It’s not my favorite thing to do, but I enjoy spending the time with him in a peaceful environment.
- DIY Furniture Makeover – Both love improving your house? Why not try re-staining your kitchen table or painting that old china hutch together.
- Horseback Riding – Go on some trail rides or take lessons together at your local barn!
- WorkoutTogether – You can find a class that you both love like kickboxing or pilates, or just get into the free weights at your neighborhood gym.
- Rock Climbing – Lots of cities have rock climbing gyms you can join. This is something I would definitely love to try!
- Take Cooking Classes – Or just find awesome recipes online and try to recreate them for a cheaper version.
- Become Bird Watchers – This gets you outside and gives you a little exercise in the process.
- Learn a Sport – Learn to play golf, tennis, racquetball or any number of sports together, because exercise puts you into a great mood which sets you up for an awesome time with your spouse.
- Go to the Theatre – No, not the movie theater! Become a season pass holder at your local Play Theatre, you’ll love enjoying the arts together!
- Garden Together – Grow your own vegetables or flowers in your backyard.
- Start a Collection – Whether it’s coins, comic books, spoons, or even items from a specific time period, you can visit antique stores or search online together.
- Travel Together – This can be as expensive or cheap as you choose. Go to Europe for two months or go on a day trip in your area. Just go, and go often!
- Be Couponers – Some people love the thrill of saving huge amounts of money at stores by collecting and organizing coupons, this is definitely something that can be done together, and will save you money as well!
- Brew Your Own Beer or Wine – You can experiment to make the perfect bottle of Merlot or the best IPA, plus this makes an awesome gift!
- Try Your Spouse’s Favorite Hobby – Please, please, please do this! I promise it will mean so much to your significant other that you are willing to do their favorite thing with them. It doesn’t have to be your full time hobby, but once or twice a year won’t hurt you, and hey, maybe you’ll even start to enjoy it too!
OTHER ACTIVITIES AND HOBBIES
There are so many options out there for activities that you and your significant other can do together. I tried to list some activities that can truly become hobbies, not just a singular date night. The key here is to find something that you will want to continuously do together. Remember, unless you despise the thought of an activity, you should give it at least one shot with your spouse!
Do you and your significant other have any activities or hobbies that you love doing together? Tell me about them in the comments!